Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Unker and Physia : A Review

Unker and Physia, web series by alumni Philip Maniaci and Jessica Howell, is an elongated love letter to all that is absurd and fun. The two main characters wander through the city, finding excitement in little moments that would be overlooked in busier lives. At first, my inner film professor tried to break out and ask deep questions, "Who are they?" "How do the know each other?" "What is their IQ?" Then I realized the greatness of the series. None of those answers matter.

Depression kicks in easily for me these days when I open my internet browser, bombarded by political rants, news of gun violence and suicide bombers. Phil and Jessica have created a reality outside of the complications. Laughter is barely contained between Unker's hair ninja and Physia's banana murals. For a moment, I forget myself and become transported into a world where weird days bring shirtless men and Chinese fingertraps. This is escapism at its best.

I don't know where Unker and Physia are going on their next adventure. And I don't want to know. I'm happy to be surprised. Take a trip into a nameless bizarro city to hang out with Unker and Physia for a few minutes. You won't be disappointed.


1 comment: