Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Design Currency: Something to really think about - Part 1

Why are you in school?
Why are you studying filmmaking?
Do you have something to say?
Is there anyone out there who wants to listen?
Do you have something to contribute to society, humanity?
What is your value? How much are you worth?
Specifically, how much is your work worth?
How do you put a dollar sign on what you produce, as an artist or a craftsman?
How much is your time worth?
Should you get paid when a studio or individual reproduces your work?
Do you have an answer to these questions?

Keep checking the blog for more discussion on this topic. . .

2 comments:

  1. I don't have the answer to these questions, and I would seriously like the answer to these questions.
    When a client is looking for a lower priced alternative how low should I offer my work? Am I helping myself or hurting everyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. It depends on how low you go. If you begin doing quality work for $10 an hour or free, then you are setting a trap for yourself and your colleagues. The last thing the creative community wants is for clients to think they can get something for nothing. My advice is to talk to your career services advisor regarding rates for creative work.
    Cheers! Eve.

    ReplyDelete